Traveling in the Namibian Summer
The 7 things you cannot be caught without in Namibia while on the road in summer. (September – April, yes-yes, I know. Technically some of these months are autumn and spring, but you won’t argue with me if you are in the middle of nowhere, stuck with a flat tire in the heat of the day…)
- Water. As many bottles as you can fit it.
- Sunscreen. Yes, even men can wear sunscreen. Nothing to be ashamed of out here in heat of summer.
- Insect Repellent. Because when the sun goes down, the bugs come out.
- A hat – as wide as possible so that your neck and ears are also covered. This isn’t just a heat wave… this is permanent.
- Sunglasses. The darker the better. It’s not a fashion statement. It’s a necessity.
- Cotton long-sleeve shirts – yes, believe it or not. You need these. They really do help against the sun and are somehow cooler than bare skin.
- Sandals. The ground gets hot. Really hot.